So, I first made Cheese Soufflé when on placement and although I’m not the biggest fan of eating it, it is ‘such fun’ to make! Everyone seems to find making soufflés a challenge, but it’s not that difficult really, just make sure you DON’T open the oven when cooking! 😀 Enjoy!
150ml milk, warmed
100g strong cheese
4 large egg yolks
5 large egg whites
- Melt the butter in a pan, careful not to burn, add flour gradually and stir.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and nutmeg and bring to boil.
- Slowly add the milk to the butter mixture, whilst stirring.
- Add cheese so it melts into the mixture, leaving a few chunks of cheese unmelted.
- Leave the mixture to cool and separate the eggs. Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks.
- When the mixture is cool, add the egg yolks and mix well.
- Gradually add the egg whites. Fold in gently, careful to maintain air in the egg whites. Season.
- Completely butter and flour each soufflé mould. Add mixture so ¾ full.
- Bake in oven for 17 minutes at gas mark 5.
- Serve with a rocket, tomato and onion salad, ooorrrrrrrrrrr if you’re feeling more adventurous: rocket, poached pear and toasted walnut salad.