Burnt cream just doesn’t sound as attractive as crème brulee does it? Anyway, everyone seems to find these difficult. They’re not actually too hard as long as you pay attention and treat the recipe like a science. I’ve messed with it a bit to get it to the stage where it doesn’t curdle, so make sure you keep quantities just right! Then sit back and enjoy!
What do I need?
2 Egg Yolks
1 Litre Double Cream
1 Vanilla Pod
135g Caster Sugar
What do I do?
1. Bring cream and vanilla seeds to boil in a heavy based pan.
2. Whisk together eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until lovely and creamy.
3. Slowly, slowly add the cream mix to the eggs, whisking all the time to make sure it doesn’t go all manky and curdley.
4. Strain into a jug in case of any little lumps and pour even amounts into ramekins.
5.Place ramekins in baking dish of boiling water (be very careful) and cook at 180˚c/ Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle a thin coating of caster sugar on the cooled brulees and ‘burn’ with a blow torch, et voila – crème brulee!