A real Jess’s Messes winter warmer here, great to serve with a nice dollop of ice cream for contrast of temperatures, but at winter I don’t think you can beat a steaming hot Sticky Toffee Pudding with some delicious creamy custard… My mouth is watering as I type.
150g Dates (destoned)
200ml Earl Grey Tea
Big pinch bicarbonate of soda
150g Self Raising Flour
120g Brown Sugar
25ml Dark Treacle/Honey
What do you do?
1. Soak dates in tea and soda for 30 minutes
2. Rub flour, ginger, sugar and butter together
3. Add egg, dates, tea, treacle/honey and rum to the butter mix.
4. Cook in a tray at 160˚c / gas mark 4 for 25 minutes.
5. Take out the oven and check it is cooked through, but still moist in the middle.
6. Leave to cool.
7. Turn out the tray and cut into squares.
8. Serve with Jess’s Messes butterscotch sauce (recipe coming soon) and custard or ice cream.