The days are getting shorter, the nights are getting colder and the snow is drawing in. This may appear negative, but this means one thing and one thing only for Jess’s Messes – CHRISTMAS! Ok, so it means 2 things, Christmas and Winter Warmers. Sometimes there’s nothing better than being curled up in front of the fire, in your pyjamas with a steaming winter warmer and a glass of mulled wine. So to celebrate this time of year and the joy of winter warmers, here is a lovely and easy Steak & Mushroom Pie recipe.
What do you need?
100g Plain Flour
1 Tsp Salt
400g Braising Steak (Diced)
1 Tbsp Plain Flour
10ml Rapeseed Oil
1 White Onion (Sliced)
2 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
1 Tsp Thyme
200g Button Mushrooms
250ml Red Wine
800ml Beef Stock
Salt & Pepper
What do you do?
1. First job is to season the beef. Place flour, salt & pepper in a bowl and toss the beef in seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a pan and empty steak into pan – cook quickly until all browned.
2. Add onions, garlic and thyme, and cook on a lower heat, until onions have softened. Add mushrooms and cook for around 5 minutes.
3. Add wine and turn heat up to boil, when wine has almost disappeared add beef stock and bring to the boil again.
4. Turn the heat down to a simmer and leave for around 1 1/2 hours.
5. Meanwhile make the pastry – grate the butter into a bowl and add flour and salt. Rub together until in a breadcrumb like texture. Add 1 Tbsp of water and combine pastry together into a ball. place in the fridge until ready to use.
6. After 1 1/2 hours taste your ‘stew’ and season to taste. Transfer into an ovenproof dish.
7. Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 6 / 200°C. Roll out your pastry to about 1/2 cm thick and place on top of the ‘stew’.
8. Place in the oven for around 25-30 minutes. Serve with potato and greens of your choice.
The ultimate comfort food!