|Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad|
Many moons ago it was Father’s Day and I wanted to do a tasty 3 course meal for my dad to show him how great he is.
As I was doing 3 courses and none of the family have the massive-est of appetites the starter had to be especially light, but we do like strong and interesting flavours. I decided to do a nice, light Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad… with a slight twist.
What do you need?
For the Dressing:
1 Lemon (Juice)
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp Honey
Salt and Pepper
How do you do it?
1. Very finely slice the beetroot into small discs, use a Mandolin if you have one and are confident with them – but don’t cut yourself, they really hurt!
2. Place slices in a shallow baking tray or similar. Mix in a ramekin the Lime juice, Red Chilli and Olive Oil and season. Pour over beetroot and toss the beets in mixture. Ensure all are covered then cling film and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3. Very finely dice the shallot and fry very slowly in a small amount of oil, until soft – but careful not to colour.
4. Place Goats Cheese, cooked Shallot, Double Cream and finely sliced Chives in a bowl and combine. I found it easiest to use my hands, but you can obviously use a spoon to stay nice and clean. Taste and adjust seasoning. Place to one side.
5. Make the dressing – combine all ingredients and whisk.
6. Ball up the goats cheese into small spheres, at least 20 of them if serving 4 people.
7. Place 5 discs of beetroot around the place, and a ball of goats cheese on top, then another disc on top of that.
8. Drizzle over some of the dressing and scatter the pea shoots.
9. Serve and enjoy!